Google Analytics

Saturday, February 10, 2007

Gadgets, Games and Gizmos: Second Life by the Numbers

Here is an article brought to my attention by one of my students Jason Kojtek. The article, The Second Life Census provides a link to a spreadsheet showing some interesting SL numbers. For example, the number of non-repeat credit card accounts is 2 million and the number of people online at any time is between 10,000 and 30,000.

But the most interesting part of the article are the comments posted afterward. The vast majority blasting Second Life because it is not a "game" and there is nothing to do in Second Life except walk around.

Interesting, I think a lot of early technologies are seen as "non-exciting" by all but the techies and then, when someone figures out something cool to do with them, they catch on or when someone else makes them simplier to use. Remember, not everyone had a bag phone but when they became smaller, cell phones became a must have.

Also, I remember when GPS seemed unnecessary, now I can't live without it or when PDAs first came on the scene. I think we are on the verge of something but, perhaps, Second Life isn't the final form, however, I think we owe it to ourselves to explore the possiblities so we know what works and what doesn't in these new metaverses.
__

Recommended Games and Gadgets
Recommended Books
Content Guide

No comments: