Google Analytics

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Gadgets, Games and Gizmos: ESL in SL



This weekend I attended an English as a Second Language (ESL) class. It was a surreal experience for two reasons. 1) I already speak English (unfortunately, the only language I do speak except for a little French which I continually butcher, oui) 2) the class was in Second Life (SL).

The instructor, Kip, separated the attendees into two groups and then asked a series of questions in English using slides and then the participants answered with written English sentences. The instructor would correct the students (most of whom spoke German as a first language) by typing a correction or the entire correct sentence.

It worked surprisingly well. The students raised their hands with questions and there was good rapport between the students and the instructor. Many of whom used that medium as their only method of learning English.

It was interesting to attend a class online in SL. I would strongly urge you to do so if given the chance, one can certainly see the potential and the promise of learning in 3D for a language.

For example, the instructor could move the class to a restaurant and have the students order a meal or go to a train station and have them buy a ticket or ask for the restroom or walk down a street in Paris and ask a policeman for directions. The SL environment provides a great opportunity to immerse the learner in the language and the situation. A guided tour designed to help learners speak the language.



Special thanks to Deanna!
__

Recommended Games and Gadgets
Recommended Books
Content Guide

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice post

Web Design Quote said...

Hi,

In my point of view where different software and technology are helped of the humans there these are also the big source of entertainment.
The blog which help us to knowing about to the Gadgets, Games and Gizmos.great posting of this blog.

Anonymous said...

I have been following your blog for sometime..,its beautifully written.Thought would drop by and send you some flashcards which I have found interesting.

Kiara said...

I been reading most of your blogs for quite sometime now, and surprisingly I like everything you post. English isn't my first language, and I am actually playing some of the Download Games to at least enhance my vocabulary. I read books to learn more. And now, being in a perhaps mini course for ESL, that would help. Thanks.

bnjohn said...

I think it's amazing and helps a lot to improve English skills,

Actually I like these games, you have fun and you learn at the same time!!