Google Analytics

Friday, February 29, 2008

ASTD TechKnowledge 2008, Lots of Fun

Arrived back from the ASTD TechKnowledge 2008 conference late the other night (3:00am) but the conference was worth it. I got to see a lot of people and make some really good connections.

Matt Monahan and I had a lot of fun in our pre-conference workshop, Learning in 3D. We had a lively group of about 10 participants some of who had never even logged into Second Life before and some who were practically pros. Matthew Monahan and I put them through the paces. They learned to create lessons, build and even do a little scripting.

The final exercise was for them to create a mini-lesson in Second Life based on what we had covered in the session and some supplies we had given them. Each team put on the appropriate team t-shirt and went about building a "green" house.

The house in the picture below was primarily built by Bruce Smith of Emerson...he knows his way around Second Life and is a member of a number of interesting Second Life groups. He and his group created an excellent "green" house complete with reflective roofing and a wood burning stove.


I was able to sneak in a quick lunch discussion with Jennifer Hofmann

Additionally, I met a number of bloggers whom I'd only ever known through the blogosphere. I spent a few moments chatting with Tony Karrer. And also chatted a bit with Clark Quinn who I'd never met before. I really enjoyed meeting both gentleman and, from their blogs, I felt like I had a head start on knowing them since I read their work and understand a little of their thinking, priorities and ideas that excite them from reading their posts.

I was also able to catch up with Michael Allen and John Welsh of Allen Interactions, I've presented with both of them in the past at conferences and really enjoy seeing their latest work and learning about what they are up to. I then caught up with Tom King who I only see at conferences and who has an awesome documentary idea!

I briefly said "hi" to Will Thalheimer who I always enjoy speaking with, wish I would have had more time to chat with him.

I also saw John Leh the regional sales manager for Meridian Knowledge Solutions. John has presented a number of times in my RFP class and always gives a great perspective on Requests for Proposals.

Matt and I then stop by and chatted with Bill Jacobs Owner, ASERT / DialogCoach.

I'm sure I missed someone but I really did enjoy seeing everyone at the conference and hope everyone had as good a time as I did at the conference...although I didn't have the opportunity to stay for the entire event.
__

Catalog of Recommended Books, Games and Gadgets
Recommended Games and Gadgets
Recommended Books
Content Guide

1 comment:

Lisa Gualtieri said...

Gee, we know a lot of people in common. Wish I was there too instead of in snowy Boston.

Just curious - do you or others in Second Life look at the work done with other virtual worlds like WorldsAway?