- Inform students that there are 10 items hidden within the environment that contain definitions of key terms. (We use brief cases).
- Give students 10-15 minutes to search the environment for the items containing the definitions.(Can give more time if a large area or more than 10 items are hidden).
- Students need to write down the definitions they find.
- When completed, have students compare terms to see if they were all located.
- Debrief the students to see if they have any questions or concerns when they are done with the Scavenger Hunt.
- Probe to see if they had any navigation or movement issues that you can help explain and clarify.
Scavenger hunts can be a good method of introducing new employees to an organization. You can conduct virtual scavenger hunts with new employees from all over the world providing an engaging mechanism to learn facts and information about the company while simultaneously encouraging them to learn more about their fellow employees.
Establish a scavenger hunt in a virtual factory to provide the learners with an opportunity to learn the location of certain machines or safety stations. Another use is to help orient employees to new city, town or building layout prior to their actual physical arrival at that location.
An advantage of scavenger hunts is that an instructor or facilitator does not have to be present. The scavenger hunt can be established ahead of time with the required items placed appropriately in the VIE for the learners to find. The learner simply obtains instructions on what he or she should be looking for as the scavenger hunt begins.
A disadvantage is that a scavenger hunt usually takes a while to plan and set up and, sometimes, learners do not find all the items they are required to find. Learners become frustrated with scavenger hunts if they feel they are too difficult.
Visit Using Virtual Worlds in the Conspiracy to Create an ah-ha Moment to see how Uncle D's Storyquest uses a scavenger hunt to create interest and education concerning HIV.
Catalog of Recommended Books, Games and Gadgets
Recommended Games and Gadgets