Google Analytics

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

2009 Predictions, Remembrance and Challenges

ASTD's Big Question for January is, again, a series of questions.

  • What are your biggest challenges for this upcoming year?
  • What are your major plans for the year?
  • What predictions do you have for the year?
First a little reflection. This year has been a busy year I've worked on:
  • Analyzing Mobile Learning Opportunities within an Organizations
  • Researched Virtual World and MMOLE Learning Opportunities within an Organization
  • Researched Social Learning for Behind-the-Firewall Implementation within an Organization
  • Worked to designing a Game to Teach Middle School Kids Science, Math, Engineering and Technical Skills as part of a National Science Foundation Grant
  • Worked with US Intelligence Community
  • Presented on the topic of "Gadgets, Games and Gizmos" Around the Country
  • Conducted a Comparison of Two Training Methodologies for a PA State Agency
  • Wrote Serveral Whitepapers
  • Conducted Evaluations for National Science Foundation Grants
My three most popular 2008 Blog postings were (#1 being most popular).

#1: Bored?-Try Dissecting a Frog
#2: Top 5 Funny and Semi-Learning Related Videos
(My favorite)
#3: Help, I have an Instructional Design Master's Degree and I Can't Create E-Learning

What are your biggest challenges for this upcoming year?

  • Time management is becoming a bigger and bigger challenge. Very difficult to balance everything I am doing and still have time to breath.
  • Spending as much time as possible with my two boys and wife. Tough to be busy and balance family life but it must be a priority.
  • Plus, I'd love to get in better shape...yes I did say that last year and perhaps the year with time management.

  • Finding new approaches to teaching my RFP class. I teach a wonderful class but I feel it has too much lecturing even though I have been working to eliminate the lectures, we have group exercises, group assignments, student presentations, good discussions but still...can I totally eliminate lectures...not sure I can. So this is a big challenge for me this year.
  • I am writing a book this year called "Learning in 3D" about using virtual worlds for learning, that will be a challenge as all of my books have been. But they are so rewarding and I do enjoy it after it is over.
  • Finding the time to write a peer reviewed article (I have said this the last 2 years, I need someone to hold me to this. I even have great research, just need to write it up.)

What are your major professional plans for the year?
  • To write the book, "Learning in 3D."
  • To publish a peer reviewed article.
  • To continue blogging.
  • To continue presenting.
  • To enjoy being part of the field.
  • I'm giving a workshop to the Centeral Iowa Chapter of ASTD. I am really looking forward to that engagement.
What predictions do you have for the year?
  • E-Learning will grow at a rapid pace. With the economy in a shambles, one good way to reduce costs is to conduct e-learning.
  • The rapid pace of e-learning growth will create a bunch of garbage e-learning.
  • Organizations will struggle with too few staff and too much to do but will not want to hire more people.
  • Social Media or Knowledge Media will become a great resource within organizations.
  • I will continue to blog and enjoy the online community of bloggers, lurkers and others.



Catalog of Recommended Books, Games and Gadgets
Recommended Games and Gadgets
Recommended Books
Content Guide

No comments: