|Tween's playing a video game. Most of them do on a regular basis.|
In 2010, when M2 Research asked a similar question, they found 91 percent of boys and 93 percent of girls aged 8-11 are playing games online on a regular basis.
That's a big increase.
Here are some other statistics from the M2 Research Report.
1. Social Networking: Social Networking is increasingly prevalent in children's lives. Facebook is now the favorite website among tween (8-11) boys and teen (12-15) girls.
2. Key Demographic and "Sweet Spot": Online games dominate for boys and girls ages 8-11. 91% of tween boys and 93% of tween girls play games online.
3. Nintendo Dominates Handheld Gaming Space: But thanks largely to the iPad and iPhone, Apple is becoming a significant player especially with girls.
4. Portable Platform Discrepancy: Sony's PSP has largest gender discrepancy. 17% of teen girls play games on the PSP compared to 44% of teen boys.
5. Strong Videogame Franchises: Franchises continue to flourish at the top of the "Favorites" list for boys and girls. The videogame franchise girls prefer is the Mario Series, with 20% of girls picking it as their favorite.
Check out the article 'Tweens,' ages 8 to 11, changing online game development
And check out M2 Research's blog entry on the report Kids and Games: What Boys and Girls are Playing Today
Catalog of Recommended Books, Games and Gadgets Recommended Games and Gadgets Recommended Books Content Guide