While informal learning is all the rage and provides a number of benefits like speed and peer-to-peer interaction and exchanges of information, good, sound instructional systems design is still necessary. A systematic approach provides good sound instruction and promotes learning and knowledge acquisition. As designers of instruction via mobile, virtual worlds or social networking, we cannot ignore good instructional design. Many benefits can be obtain by following an instructional design model.
Designing good instruction does not happen by accident, it takes following a systematic process but the results of that process can be far more effective and productive than using a trial and error approach or "see what sticks" approach.
Some of the benefits of following a systematic process include:
- Instructional quality is higher than trail and error approaches because the selection of content, use of specific instructional strategies, and engagement of the learner are approached systematically.
- Motivation of the learner is higher because the instruction is designed to be appealing, motivating and targeted toward the learners needs.
- Learner success increases with instruction that is systematically designed to teach and achieve clearly stated goals and outcomes.
- Learner assessments are tightly integrated with the objectives of the instruction.
- Higher quality instruction results from following a clearly defined process.
- Research-based principles guide the selection of media and instructional strategies and approaches.
- Consistency of delivery of instruction. Following a specific process for the development of all learning modules provides consistency between various courses developed by various instructors/designers. The general look and process of content exploration is standardized.
- Courses are developed from the learner’s perspective and not from the viewpoint of the instructor’s knowledge or opinions on a topic.
- Increased retention and recall among learners because of the rigorous process used to design the instruction.
Of course there are more benefits, what did I miss can you add any other?
Catalog of Recommended Books, Games and Gadgets
Recommended Games and Gadgets