Some thoughts on the advantages of 3D environments (virtual worlds) for learning.
Advantages of 3D Immersive Learning
- Learner cues on visual, auditory and spatial elements of 3D environment which leads to better recall and application of learning.
- Learner rehearses on-the-job behavior in an environment as close to job environment as possible. (Realistic learning environment)
- Allows learners at a distance to be in the same place to practice behaviors (not just online at the same time).
- Learners become emotionally involved in the learning due to realism.
- Experienced learners can explore more possibilities of dialogue than in a scripted simulation.
- Sense of “being there” for the learner.
Advantage of 3D Worlds Over Virtual Classroom
- Learners stay more focused (not as likely to check email).
- Learners are immersed in learning environment.
- Learners must act and behave as if in actual environment.
- Integrates learning into environment similar to which it must be applied.
- Learners are vested in avatar and in situation.
- Learners are placed in the appropriate context to apply the learning.
Am I on the right track? Is anything missing? What do you think?
Catalog of Recommended Books, Games and Gadgets
Recommended Games and Gadgets