Google Analytics

Sunday, December 17, 2006

Gadgets, Games and Gizmos: Shopping in Second Life

Circuit City just announced that they are opening a store in Second Life in an article titled Circuit City Enters Second Life. The process was facilitated by IBM as discussed earlier in my post IBM Opens a Business Unit in Second Life.

In my upcoming book' Gadgets, Games and Gizmos for Learning, I make the following prediction
Entire shopping malls will be online and populated with avatars. The avatars will have the same measurements, skin tone, and hair color as their physical real-world counterparts. Friends will meet online and try on clothes, chat and spend time together.

Well the idea of Circuit City entering Second Life, IBM being involved and a third piece which I have used for years--a vitual model of yourself that you can build on the Lands End Web site--all lead me to believe that we are very close to that reality. Here is as close as I could get to myself with the avatar.


If you haven't created your own model and tried on clothes at the Lands End web site, you need to do so at Lands End virtual model web page. Now imagine placing your model into an online shopping mall as an avatar in Second Life and shopping online with your friends. I give it 12 months.
__

Recommended Games and Gadgets
Recommended Books
Content Guide

No comments: